I'm Mad at Mr. Plow

From Jaméz Smith, Bike Walk Twin Cities Administrative Assistant.

Walking down 42nd Ave on my way home after work last night, I was impressed with the amount of sidewalk clearing that had occurred in response to yesterday’s snow storm. The snow was still falling at 8pm, and yet many home-owners had not only managed to clear the snow from the walks in front of their homes, but those on corner lots had even cleared access to the crosswalks.

Walking up 42nd Ave on my to work this morning, I was highly disappointed to see that in clearing the roads for automobile traffic, the snow plows had dumped snow back onto the sidewalks, and completely blocked crosswalk access, negating the diligent efforts from the previous evening.

What’s the point of requiring homeowners to clear the sidewalk in front of their homes only to have that work undone to clear the roads?

I walked up to a woman bundled from head to toe as she was re-shoveling her walk. I thanked her for her work and shared my frustration.

“Yeah, it happens every time.” She said, stopping to catch her breath in the 2o weather. “But what can you do?”


No comments:

Post a Comment